Driving 468x60

Cool I am alone... Phobia of driving and being a passenger!

I have a phobia of driving and being a passenger on the road. I have this problem on highways, bridges, and even some regular roads. I always need a pullover, and when there is nothing but open land, I get really nervous. I lock up, and go into full panic mode. I have even pulled over, jumped out of my car and started running! I have stopped on the side of the road and have sat there for hours. I drive very slowwwwww! Night time driving is very scary for me as well. I think I am completely alone. I don't know if this program could help me, but I sure wish it would!

My ideal road is a neighborhood type of road with lots of pullovers and stores!

I am not sure if I have found the root of the problem, but I believe it is possible. I was chased when I was 18 by a man in car and I was lost in Miami. The funny thing is that I was fine after that incident. It wasn't until about 7 years later when I got lost on Alligator Alley that I had a major panic attack! After that I could barely drive or be a passenger on regular roads.

Are you less anxious when others are in the car with you?

It doesn't really make a difference either way.

What was it about being lost on Alligator Alley that caused your panic attack?

No shoulders, alligators, dark roads with no light, and you are stuck on the road for a good hour or so until you can turn around.

So it sounds like pulling over is your way of controlling the situation. Does it calm you down to know you can pull over whenever you want?

It is complex. Having pullovers definitely help me for sure, but when on the highway I will freeze up even if I am pulled over. I feel very far away from civilization! I love roads with lots of strip malls. Strange eh?

No, it's not strange at all. I understand wanting to be closer to people just in case something happens, right.

That could very well be it. The night I was chased, there were no people around and it was a dark long road with a dead end. I wish I could shake the panic!

Have you tried the program yet? I think it would help.

No, I have not. I haven't heard back from many people so I am worried that this might not be for me. I really feel like I am the only person that has this kind of fear. Most people have one or the other (either driving or being a passenger) where as I have both!

Administrator

That's actually not uncommon at all. It depends on what your fear stems from, if it's being away from a "safe place" that triggers you, it makes no difference if you're controlling the vehicle or not, you'll be afraid until you learn to respond differently to your fear. That's just one example, but you get the idea.

That's the thing with phobias and fears, everyone thinks theirs is the "worst" or somehow "different, but when you hear from people all day long like I do about fear, you realize we're all pretty similar!

I made it a point to blog about it here:
    [url]http://richpresta.com/you-cant-see-their-insides[/url]

So you're FAR from alone or unique in your fear! As a matter of fact, lots of people like to drive around strip malls because of the "escape" opportunities. That's the crux of why many fear highway as well, inability to get off when you want to. The trick is to learn that there's nothing to escape from to begin with!

Rich
    Yes, I'm Rich Presta, the author of the
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    . Thanks for visiting the forum, I post as often as I can, but you can also always check out my blog or get started
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    with the Driving Fear Program now!

the program is the best thing you can do. i used to get anxiety when in the passenger seat as well as when i was driving. the program actually helped me to overcome that phobia pretty quickly. since i wasn't driving it was easier to sit back and calm myself down. the important thing to remember is that you are not alone with this and there are alot of people out there that know exactly what you're going through.