Driving 468x60

Angry 25, married and No License!! >not too proud to walk<

Hey everyone! Another non driver here...ahh yeaaa...Noo its not that great Ok Im at a point in life where I can't ignore the fact that I have some kind of driving phobia. To be honest, I don't even know how it started. From the time I was 11 (oh, no a therapy session -_-) Ive had dreams up till I was 22 about driving, all ranging from weird evens such as crashing, both pedals being gas and no brake, the car taking off by itself while i was in the passenger seat, driving into rivers, to no control of the steering no matter how hard I tried. One time I even dreamt the car turned into a bike!! I've never been into an accident...and my whole teen years were spent in my room depressed for other reasons and was never given any kind of lesson. So why cant I drive? Ive actually tried a few times... Aaand drove right into a parked truck. sober. I blanked out!!! Plus I know *NOTHING* about the gears, and buttons (besides the radio and A/C) and at one point (don't laugh) I could have sworn there were turning signal switches on each side of the wheel. My husband, >who laughed at that last one<, is pretty fed up at having to drive me everywhere, but at the same time won't let me touch our new car because of what I did to our last one. And his friends poor truck. So Im kind of stuck because I don't have a vehicle to try on and In my head I hear, (Why don'tcha go to DRIVING SCHOOL...school...school..) Um because I dont have the MONEY...money...money...And it would be cheaper if someone would lend me their car to practice right? Right! Tell that to my family. They said they like having a car...well...
    First off I could use some advice from a person who has the same problem!! Any suggestions? i can't see an underlying problem mentally because I never had any bad car experiences in the past (Like BEFORE I got behind the wheel.) I envy that feeling of independence from being able to drive, to get those mechanical wings, and not depend on anyone, so can anyone PLEASE help me in anyway? Notes? Suggestions? Encouraging speeches? Voodoo and or Hypnosis? (j/k about the last two. or am I...)

Red face Omg we are related

Hi,
    I'm Lindsay and I 'm going through the same things you are. I am 25 with no license and I feel so defeated. I am a social worker on my way to graduate school to become a msw level social worker and hopefully a licensed clinical social worker who can provide therapy. I really do want help for this problem and I am getting ready to try hypnosis I'll let you know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat87 View Post

Hey everyone! Another non driver here...ahh yeaaa...Noo its not that great Ok Im at a point in life where I can't ignore the fact that I have some kind of driving phobia. To be honest, I don't even know how it started. From the time I was 11 (oh, no a therapy session -_-) Ive had dreams up till I was 22 about driving, all ranging from weird evens such as crashing, both pedals being gas and no brake, the car taking off by itself while i was in the passenger seat, driving into rivers, to no control of the steering no matter how hard I tried. One time I even dreamt the car turned into a bike!! I've never been into an accident...and my whole teen years were spent in my room depressed for other reasons and was never given any kind of lesson. So why cant I drive? Ive actually tried a few times... Aaand drove right into a parked truck. sober. I blanked out!!! Plus I know *NOTHING* about the gears, and buttons (besides the radio and A/C) and at one point (don't laugh) I could have sworn there were turning signal switches on each side of the wheel. My husband, >who laughed at that last one<, is pretty fed up at having to drive me everywhere, but at the same time won't let me touch our new car because of what I did to our last one. And his friends poor truck. So Im kind of stuck because I don't have a vehicle to try on and In my head I hear, (Why don'tcha go to DRIVING SCHOOL...school...school..) Um because I dont have the MONEY...money...money...And it would be cheaper if someone would lend me their car to practice right? Right! Tell that to my family. They said they like having a car...well...
    First off I could use some advice from a person who has the same problem!! Any suggestions? i can't see an underlying problem mentally because I never had any bad car experiences in the past (Like BEFORE I got behind the wheel.) I envy that feeling of independence from being able to drive, to get those mechanical wings, and not depend on anyone, so can anyone PLEASE help me in anyway? Notes? Suggestions? Encouraging speeches? Voodoo and or Hypnosis? (j/k about the last two. or am I...)

PLEASE let me know!! Though I am a little skeptical about hypnosis because its jusst putting a suggestible frame of mind and that can change anytime if the person wills it to. Since we have control over our own way of thinking, our thoughts and feelings are subject to change. Good luck!!!